Call for Proposals: AWDF’s Leading from the South Programme in Africa
African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF)’s Leading from the South Programme in Africa
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is currently inviting women’s rights organisations for its Leading from the South Programme to support organisations and initiatives advancing the rights of women facing multiple discriminations.
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) invests in women’s rights organisations as leaders in advancing women’s rights, and as a core force for demanding accountability and respect, protection and fulfilment of rights for all women from duty bearers at all levels
AWDF is one of four Women’s Funds from the Global South managing Leading from the South – a funding initiative created to resource women’s rights activism in the global South over 4 years. The fund was initiated with support from the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs as part of their commitment to the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 5. It supports activism devised, implemented, and led by women’s rights organisations in the global South.
- Eliminate violence against women and girls & sustain respect for women’s bodily integrity and autonomy
- Protect full economic rights and justice for women
- Expand democratic space; sustain inclusive governance and equal political participation of women
Activities to be considered for funding include:
- Advocacy and Campaigning initiatives
- Training and leadership development to build core advocacy/social change skills
- Media and Communication related initiatives
- Action-Research and knowledge production with an advocacy focus
- Alliance and movement-building
- Service provision with an advocacy component
- Strategic Litigation
Grant Types and Size
- Yala! Grants:
- Size: US$20,000 to US$ 50,000 a year for up to 2 years.
- Geographic scope: Local and national.
- Ananse Grants:
- Size: US$ 51,000 to US$ 199,000 a year for up to 2 years.
- Geographic scope: National, transnational (across 2 or more countries), regional.
- Pamoja Grants:
- Size: US$ 200,000 to US$ 500,000 a year for up to 2 years.
- Geographic scope: National, transnational (across 2 or more countries), regional, international.
- AWDF accepts applications from women’s rights organisations registered and working in DAC recipient countries in Africa and the Middle East (mentioned below).
- AWDF funds women-led, women’s rights organisations as a priority. Organisations must have:
- a track record of work on women’s rights,
- a woman as organisational director/lead
- a majority of women staff
- at least 70% women involved in the governing board/body
- a stated commitment to women’s rights/gender equality in the organizational mission/vision/values
- At least 70% of programmatic resources must be dedicated to direct programming on women’s rights;
- the project applied for will be managed by a woman
- For Ananse and Pamoja grants,they will also consider applications from networks/ coalitions formed by three or more women’s groups. In this case applications will be made by one lead organisation who will be responsible for administering and reporting on use of funds. Funds can only be distributed by the lead to a maximum of 4 named partner/network members who must also be based in the two regions.
- Organisations must demonstrate their capacity and financial management systems to effectively implement and account for grant funding and programme delivery.
- Organisations must have registration status that enables them to receive funds from foreign sources.
- Organisations must have been in existence for at least 3 years.
Yala Grants: 13 February 2017
Ananse Grants: 13 February 2017
Pamoja Grants: 3 March 2017
How to Apply
- Interested applicants must download the application form and other documents below available at The official Leading from the South Programme site under AWDF website.
- Applications will be accepted in English or French.
To apply, download the relevant forms, guidelines, budget and financial management templates below:
Download LFS application guidelines here
Download Yalla application form here
Download Ananse application here
Download Pamoja Application here
Download Financial Management Questionnaire Here
For more information, please visit The official Leading from the South Programme site under AWDF.