Deadline: 31 January 2017
Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF) is seeking proposals from organisations for its “Kibera Fund 2” with an aim to target local initiatives that seek to alleviate poverty and improve the economic, social and health situations of vulnerable people.
The Kibera Fund, administered by KCDF, was established through a partnership with Comic Relief – a UK based public fundraising organization that uses television and the power of entertainment to bring positive change to people living tough lives in many parts of the world, but predominantly in Africa. Through a fundraising campaign, Comic Relief set up the fund aimed at supporting local organizations to improve the livelihoods of people living in urban informal settlements in Nairobi. The Fund dubbed Kibera Fund, is being administered by KCDF over the next four years.
The fund therefore seeks to partner with organizations that will support KCDF achieve the following objectives of the fund :
- To promote increased and more secure incomes for people living in the slums / Nairobi City informal settlements
- To Improve ability among young people living in the slums to enrich their livelihoods
- To Improve resilience to environmental risks and shocks for people living in the slums
- To Increase participation of People and organizations in the slums in the decision making processes and holding duty bearers to account;
Through this fund it is anticipated that KCDF shall enhance ability among Local organizations implementing projects in the slums to deliver on their mission and strategic goals.
- Project Duration: The project implementation period shall be 12 to 24 months.
- Grant Size: The average size of grants will be between KES 1,000,000 and KES 4,000,000. However, this decision should/will be based on potential impact, scope and the capacity of the applying local organization.
In an effort to assist communities pursue sustainable development and social justice, the foundation continues to partner with and facilitate the strengthening of local communities and their community organizations by: Building strong and credible institutions for sustainable development of communities; influencing and fostering favorable policy framework and an enabling environment for organized giving and social justice. KCDF makes this possible through carefully designed programmes under the following key thematic areas:
- Livelihood, Environment and Climate Change Adaptation (LEC)
- Education, Youth and Children (PRA)
- Policy, Research and Advocacy (PRD)
- Capacity Development & Organizational Development (COD)
KCDF is seeking to partner with organizations that:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the local context and need;
- Facilitate local communities to embrace innovative community led Livelihoods promotion strategies;
- Show that local people have been consulted and will be involved in the work;
- Demonstrate they are not working in isolation but are collaborating with other organizations and engaging with relevant government departments;
- Demonstrate that the proposed idea is in line with government policy;
- Have a balanced approach, addressing not only immediate needs but also people’s rights to services;
- Help to build the skills, confidence and capacity of local people or organizations;
- Offer some useful lessons for future interventions, and show how the applicant will gather information and learn from it.
- Applying organizations should be based in Nairobi and implementing projects within slums/ informal settlements of Nairobi City
How to Apply
The GRANT APPLICATION FORMS and Project Budget are to be filled out and submitted to KCDF through our online grant management system on or before the deadline (31st January, 2017).
These application GUIDELINES have been developed to assist applicants in filling out the application form and should be read and understood before completing the proposal form.
The following steps are guides for submitting your application:
- Download and complete the STANDARD grant application form (KCDF/LECC/KF2/R3/2017/Application-Form) which includes an embedded budget template in excel format from www.kcdf.or.ke. The application must be typed in English. Application NOT submitted in this form will be disqualified.
- To submit your final proposal and requested supplementary documents, create and log in to your user account by accessing our grant application system/ portal. Use/follow the following link https://www.GrantRequest.com/SID_2302?SA=SNA&FID=35000.
- Once logged in, register your organization details, contact person details, and provide brief details of your project.
- Lastly upload and submit your grant application (which includes the embedded budget), and the requested supplementary documentation
- You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission of your application.
Email applications will not be considered. Applications delivered outside the deadline (31st January, 2017) are automatically disqualified. In case you require assistance in accessing the grantee portal, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
If in need of more information, applicants are advised to send their inquiries through email to email@example.com indicating Ref No. KCDF/LECC/KF2/R3/2017, in the subject line.
To download the Guide to Applicants, and, Grants Application form, please click on the icons below:
|Guide to Applicants|
|Grants Application Form|
For more information, please visit KCDF Calls for Proposals.