Deadline: 3 February 2017
The Australian High Commission Republic of Kenya is seeking applications for its Direct Aid Program (DAP) in order to provide financial assistance to eligible groups or organisations undertaking suitable small scale development projects.
The Direct Aid Program (DAP) is a small grants program funded from Australia’s aid budget. It has the flexibility to work with local communities in developing countries on projects that reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development consistent with Australia’s national interest.
It sits alongside Australia’s longer-term country and multilateral development strategies and with its wide geographical reach plays an important role in supporting local community efforts towards poverty reduction across the globe.
The program is founded on a set of principles which:
- advance developmental outcomes in countries eligible for Official Development Assistance (ODA) through projects primarily focused on practical and tangible results. This may include projects which support good governance, human rights and those with a strong advocacy component,
- support Australia’s wider foreign and trade policy interests and public diplomacy objectives, including promoting a distinctive and positive image of Australia, and
- allow for a wide geographic reach reflecting that Australia has global interests and that DAP provides an effective way to build relationships and maintain Australia’s profile.
DAP projects cover a range of sectors such as education, health, water and sanitation, environmental protection, women’s empowerment and gender equality, supporting people with disabilities, economic livelihoods, food security and human rights.
DAP projects engage a wide range of partners including community groups, non-government organisations, schools and local governments.
- DAP grants are awarded to a maximum of AUD 60,000 (USD 44,220).
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for funding in the range of AUD 5,000 (USD 3,685) to AUD 30,000 (USD 22,110).
- Projects must be self-sustaining and recurrent/ongoing costs will not be supported (e.g. salaries/rental/utility costs), nor will micro credit schemes or any other project that involves return of money.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online at: https://dap.smartygrants.com.au/2017NairobiDAPRound2 . This second application round will open on 16 January and close on 3 February.
The application form requires applicants to include the following information:
- background on the group/organisation requesting assistance
- a description of the project and its objectives
- an accurate financial breakdown of costs involved (invoices must be attached to substantiate costings)
- A Risk Management strategy that (if relevant) includes assessment of risks to children
- timeframe for implementing the project
- copy of organisation’s registration certificate
Eligible Country: Kenya
For more information, please visit Direct Aid Program.